But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility... Eph. 2:13-14

Wednesday, July 4

Independence Day

Today is July 4th, aka the 4th of July or Independence Day. Today our nation celebrates (or should be celebrating) our victory in the Revolutionary War that set us free from the rule of the English king, George III.

But for me this is a dual Independence Day, because ten years ago (I don't remember the date) I received my freedom. Because ten years ago I was saved from my sin.

Saved. Set free. Unlike in the Revolutionary War, I did not earn my freedom. It is a gift, and all the more sweet because of it. I have been released from the doom of Mankind. I have been freed from my sin, and given a way to go. I do not have to sin. I do not have to turn to other things to be satisfied (if only for a moment). My God has met, is meeting and will meet all my needs.

THIS is Freedom! Freedom to do what is right. Freedom not to care what others think. Freedom to live body and soul for my God!

But there are times - many, many times - that I abuse my Freedom, or worse, ignore it. King George says pay your taxes, and I do. The Lord says love ME,... and I don't.

His yolk is easy, and His burden light.

But I say that it is too much.

After the Revolutionary War, America had to make a government. It was their responsability to prevent what they had just defeted.

I am saved, and I must fight against what I have been set free from.

Praise God for the strength to live out my Freedom!

AND PRAISE GOD FOR FREEDOM!

Happy Independence Day, everyone!
(with both meanings!)

God Bless America

No comments: