But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility... Eph. 2:13-14

Thursday, November 13

An Observation from Western Civilization I


So I'm sitting here studying about the Germanic Kingdoms, and I've come to a conclusion. Charlemagne's family had the best names.
First, you had Pepin the Short. Aside from making you picture a dwarf king, which is fun, Pepin is also Pippin, one of my favourite hobbits.

Then, of course, there's Charlemagne himself. Besides getting the best Christmas present ever from Pope Leo III (crowned Roman Emperor), his very name means Charles the Great. Why couldn't I get a name like that?

His son, Louis the Pious, had a pretty cool name, too. Not very exciting, but at least he sounds like a clean guy, even if he couldn't keep the empire together.

However, Louis' kids (Charlemagne's grandsons) take the cake. 
My personal favourite has to be Charles the Bald. Doesn't exactly have the glory of his granddad. 
Then there's Lothair, who just has a cool name, not really funny, but definitely cool. No wonder he inherited the imperial title. 
Sadly, Louis the German has all the funness of his dad - actually, maybe less. It'd be like calling me Sarah the American. THAT'S exciting. Not.

So anyway, hope you enjoyed that extremely weird history lesson. And don't be surprised if I name my first kid Lothair, or Sarah the Great (would that be Saramagne?)

TTFN
~Sarah

No comments: