But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility... Eph. 2:13-14

Monday, March 23

What Happens When I Don't Want To Study

Ok, I admit it: I'm stalling. I don't want to study. I've put it off until today because I could, but it's Monday now and I must have 6 days to study, else I probably won't pass.

Random: I just received a form letter from Missouri Baptist University. They still want me! Huzzah!

So... um... I cut my hair!

Well I actually didn't. A student at the Beauty College that my grandma teaches at did. Anyway, she did a great job! It's relatively easy to style, comfortable, and everyone has complimented it.

On that note, I can fill up more time by talking about Gamers' Nite. I don't think I've talked about it on Droll Digression before, so I'll explain.
Gamers' Nite is a monthly tournament thing at a church far from my house. It's usually either Super Smash Bros. Brawl or... um... another game. I don't remember which, as I don't play first-person shooter games, and that is the kind of game it is. Anyway, yeah. I have some friends there, and I try to go every month, but I usually can't make it. I have been able to these past two times, however.
Anyway.
So on the event info it said that there would be both a Smash Bros. tournament and a Guitar Hero III tournament, and that dressing like a rock star was encouraged. I'm not much for Guitar Hero, but, as many of my readers will know, I absolutely adore any opportunity to wear a costume (even if said costume is just jeans & a t-shirt). 

I hadn't much of a clue as to how rockstars dress, aside from a few 80's rock stars that I've had the misfortune of catching glimpses of - and there was no way on earth I'd do THAT to my hair - so I had to look online. I found a few how-to guides, ran to the store to get some makeup and such, and then spent most of Saturday hair-spraying my head to death (while thinking that it was cool that I had red streaks, as that was suggested in one of the how-to guides), painting my fingernails black, and generally making myself not look like me. By the time I was finished, my brother said I looked scary, my mom said I wasn't allowed to claim that I was a member of the family, and my dad said that I couldn't get upset when people judged me for the way I looked (he thought that the style change was permanent). I kinda freaked myself out. Looking myself in the heavily-makeuped eye via mirror, I thought I must be looking at someone else. I definitely didn't look like my usual good-girl self.

I was finished an hour or two before we had to leave, so my sister and I ran outside with my brother's guitar for a quick photo-shoot. After waiting another hour, we finally left (I'd expected to be about 15 min - half an hour late) and arrived almost exactly on time. And then, I had a surprise.

I was the only rock star there.

Pretty much no one recognized me, and I kept forgetting just how different I looked, so it was kinda rough at first.

At one point Nextdoorneighbor and I went to get sodas. I got a Mountain Dew, she got a lemonade. Glancing down at my Mountain Dew can, I observed remorsefully, "You make me look like the bad girl." Nextdoorneighbor's reply was a look of shock that had me comparing our appearances... and then laughing. 

So in the end it was a lot of fun. I managed to get out of singing on Guitar Hero, and did ok with the guitar on beginner level. However, I will not be dressing so drastically again unless I know that at least one other person will. It's lonely being a star. ;)

P.S. I have since been tagged in two pictures on Facebook by my friend who was at Gamers'. It's killing me that I won't know what they look like for 20 more days. I'm not extremely photogenic, so they could be pretty scary...

P.P.S. I have begun to study English Literature, and it's fascinating. So you're not alone in wasting your time reading this post - I'm slightly regretting the time I put into writing it. Slightly.

No comments: