But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility... Eph. 2:13-14

Monday, October 10

Ceud Mile Failte!

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the puddin' race!
Aboon them a' ye tak yer place-
Painch tripe or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o' a grace as lang's my airm
-----------------------------------------------
Ye Pow'rs, wha mak' mankind your care,
And dish them oot their bill o' fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinkin' ware that jaups in luggies.
But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer, Gie her a Haggis!

That's the "Address to a Haggis" by Robert Burns. It has a very interesting flavor. Men in kilts are very likable. They have cool crests and instruments and sometimes super cool accents. I really love the Scottish accent. Oh yeah, haggis, I forgot. There's a legend about Haggis being some sort of animal that they hunted. It had two long legs and one short legs. When it was on flat ground it could only run around in a circle. Actually, Haggis is oatmeal, onions, lamb's heart, livers and kidneys (often with sherry), lots of pepper and is stuffed into a synthetic version of a sheep's stomach. It could still be stuffed into a reall sheep's stomach in Scotland, but not in the U.S. - not as many sheep.
I saw a fake sheep with a sign above it with the recipie for instant haggis. It involved a grenade,... messy.
So anyway, I got a sword while at the Scotish Games, adding to my collection. Did I mention that I like the scottish accent? I think the first time that I heard it and I knew for certain that it was scottish was in the Lord of the Rings when Pippin was talking. Then I saw a picture of Billy Boyd in a kilt, wondered why he was wearing a 'skirt', and the rest, shall we say, is history. Now I'm going to Scottish Games and eating Haggis and trying to figure out how to say Sgian Dubh and Ceud Mile Failte. I listen to Alester Beg(g?) (sorry if I spelled that wrong) whenever I can, so I hear a scottish accent a lot (when possible). When I listened to "Redwall" on tape it was acted out (vocally, of course) and Matthias was scottish. I loved it. Especialy because he talked a lot. I also saw some cheezy movie about some really old show with some lady in it and her...nephew, I think, was scottish. That was cool. There's also the scottish chicken...uh...can't remember the name right now, in Chicken Run who is fun to listen to. Also, my name is scottish. [In the mythical world of my old pen name, Rebekkah Lockert,] Lockert used to be Lockhart, but when my family came over the spelling got changed. Cool, huh?
So anyway, scottish stuff is really cool. They have sheep.
Well, pictures were supposed to pop up here, but I must have clicked something wrong, so they didn't. I probably shouldn't advertise without cost anyway. So have a great day!

O flow'r of Scotland,
When will we see
Your likes again-
That fought an' died for
Your wee bit hill an' glen?

And stood against him
Proud Edward's army,
And sent him homeward
Tae think again!

No comments: